This recipe makes about 4 hearty servings
First you will need:
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef (I use ground turkey)
- 12 oz of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 oz of mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar or can of any flavor spaghetti sauce (I use Hunts chunky vegetable)
- salt (I use sea salt)
- black pepper (I use a black pepper grinder)
- 1/2 cup of grated parmaesan cheese
- 2 tbsp crushed basil
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 lb pasta (I used tri colored rotini for this batch but ziti and penne work great too. You can really use any kind you like)
Because I like to get everything ready before hand, you will need these too.
large sautee pan
cooking utensils (I used a wooden cooking spoon and spatula)
baking pan (I used two 9 inch round baking dishes but a 9×13 baking dish works great too)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook your pasta according to the package directions. While your pasta is cooking brown your ground turkey or beef. Drain pasta then in the same stockpot toss pasta in 2 tbsp of EVOO and 1 tbsp of basil. Once turkey or beef is brown add 1 tbsp of basil and salt to taste. Add the meat and pasta together.
See how pretty they look together.
In a mixing bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with one egg and 1/2 cup parmasean cheese. Spoon a layer of about half the meat, pasta and sauce mixture in a baking pan. Then spread your ricotta, parmaesan cheese and egg mixture over the layer of pasta. Sprinkle about half the mozzarella cheese on top of the layer.
Layer the remaining pasta over the cheese layer. Then sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top.
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until nice and bubbling hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Goes great with garlic bread and a nice green salad. I loved buying salad kits. They are easy and delicious. This is a great Hearty Italian Salad Kit. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know if you try this recipe and how it worked for you and your family.